1. In a large bowl, mix together 3 cups of grated veggies such as white orsweet potatoes with skin on, zucchini, yellow squash and/or peeled carrots.
2. Add 3 eggs, 2 Tbl whole-wheat flour,¾ tsp salt and thoroughly mix.
3. Heat a thin layer of olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. It’s important that the heat not be too hot or too cool, because you want the pancakes to cook all the way through the middle by the time they’re brown on the outside. When the oil is hot, drop pancake-size dollops of the veggie mixture into the pan, without overcrowding.
4. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until the bottom starts to brown. Flip and cook until browned on both sides.
5. Transfer cooked pancakes to a plate lined with paper towels and keep warm by tenting with foil or placing in the oven on the lowest setting.
6. Serve warm with applesauce,sour cream or cheese. Taken from “100 Days to Real Food” by Lisa Leake
Beginner’s Luck Green Smoothie
Pack into 1 C leafy greens such as spinach or kale and toss into blender.
Add 1 C water,1 C cut up mango, 1 C pineapple and 1 banana. Substitute fruit of your choice and/or frozen fruit.
Blend well. Pour into your favorite cup with ice and share with a friend!
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Clean, peel, slice vegetables of your choice and place on cookie sheet. Some favorites are broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and sweet potatoes.
Sprinkle with olive oil, salt & pepper or seasoning salt. You can add fresh or dried herbs such as parsley, basil, chives or oregano.
Bake for 30-40 min, turning every 15 mins. Roasting brings out the sweetness of the vegetables.
Homemade Chicken Nuggets
Cut 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts into 1 ½ inch chunks and season with salt and pepper.
Lightly beat 1 egg in a shallow pan.
In another shallow bowl, mix with a fork 1 C whole wheat breadcrumbs, ¼ C freshly grated parmesan cheese, ½ tsp paprika and ½ tsp garlic salt.
Set aside a large clean plate for the prepared chicken pieces.
Make one of your hands the “wet hand” and toss some of chicken pieces into egg mixture. Make other hand the “dry hand” and roll the coated egg pieces into the breadcrumb mixture.
Place the coated pieces on the clean plate until all the pieces are coated.
Heat a large sauté pan over medium/low heat with a thin layer of oil. Add chicken nuggets to pan and fry until golden brown, 5-6 minutes each side or until a cut open nugget shows no pink inside.
Transfer to plate lined with paper towel to absorb any excess oil.
Serve with honey mustard.
Taken from “100 Days to Real Food” by Lisa Leak
Mixed Berry Popsicles
In a blender, combine 2 cups plain yogurt,
1 cup mixed berries
⅓ cup maple syrup.
Pour into pop molds with stick and freeze. Homemade Applesauce
Wash, peel and core 8 apples.
Cut into quarters and place in saucepan with 1 C water and a pinch of salt.
Cook until tender and then mash.
Add approximately 1/4 to 1/3 C brown sugar or honey
Add 1 or 2 shakes of cinnamon.
Simmer for about three minutes, stirring constantly.